2015 Alaska Airlines Cup - Tournament Format
1. Age Divisions: All teams have the option to be placed in their age group pool or play up. Each team will be grouped and games set based on luck of the draw.
2. Playing Format: The U10-12 age groups will play 8v8. Age divisions U13 and up will play 11v11.
3. Duration of Games: The duration of all preliminary games will be as follows:
U10 two 25-minute halves.
U11-12 two 30-minute halves.
U13-U15 two 35-minute halves.
U16-U23 Divisions two 40-minute halves.
There will be a 5-minute halftime period. There will be no overtime periods or penalty kick shootouts during the preliminary rounds.
4. Competition Format
THREE TEAM DIVISONS
Will consist of one group of three teams. They will play Round Robin format with each team playing the other two teams twice for a total of four games. The champion will be the team with one highest point-holder at the conclusion of Round Robin play.
FOUR TEAM DIVISIONS
Will consist of one group of four teams. They will play a Round Robin format within the group with all playing all (3 games). Top two point-holders will play in the final. Bottom two point-holders will play consolation.
FIVE TEAM DIVISIONS
Will consist of one group of five teams. They will play a Round Robin format within the group with all playing all (4 games). Top two point-holders will play in the final.
SIX TEAM DIVISIONS
Will consist of two groups of three teams each. They will play a cross-over format. i.e., A1 will play B1, B2 and B3, etc. The top four point-holders from the entire division will go to the semi-finals. 1st will play 4th, 2nd will play 3rd in the Semi Finals. The bottom two point-holders will play consolation.
SEVEN TEAM DIVISIONS
Will consist of one group of seven teams with a random draw of each team playing four games. Top two point-holders will play in the final.
EIGHT TEAM DIVISIONS
Will consist of two groups of four teams each. Each team will play the other teams in its group for a total of three games. The winner of Group A will play the second place team in Group B in Semifinal #1, the winner of Group B will play the second place team in Group A in Semifinal #2. The Semifinal winners will meet for the Championship. For consolation matches 3rd place in Group A plays 3rd place of Group B; 4th place of Group A plays 4th place of group B.
The following scoring method will be used in preliminary round games:
- 3 points for a win
- 1 point for a tie
- 0 points for a loss
All games will be considered final. Any score in a game abandoned by the referee will be official and points will be awarded accordingly.
Tie Breakers: In the case of a tie in the standings at the conclusion of all games in the preliminary rounds, the following tie breakers will be employed:
- Head to Head
- Goal Differential (max of 4 goals difference per game)
- Least goals allowed in all games played in team's flight
- FIFA rules Kicks from the Mark
*In the event there is a three way tie, the Head to Head tie breaker is not used and the tie breaker goes straight to Goal Differential*
5. Consolation Games: These games will end at the conclusion of regulation time even if tied.
6. Semi-Final Games: Semi-Final games will be the same duration as preliminary round games. Semi-final games ending in regulation time as a tie will go immediately to kicks from the mark; no overtime will be played.
7. Championship Games: Championship games will be played to determine first and second place in each age group where possible. The duration of the final games will be (overtime only played if score is tied at the end of regulation time):
- U11-12: Two 30-minute halves/two 10-minute halves extra-time if needed to be decided by Golden Goal
- U13-U15: Two 35-minute halves/two 10-minute halves extra-time if needed to be decided by Golden Goal
- U16-U23: Two 40-minute halves/two 10-minute halves extra-time if needed to be decided by Golden Goal
- Championship Games ending in a tie after extra-time will go to kicks from the mark beginning with best of five then best of one. Kicks must be taken by those players on the field as time expires.
8. Awards: U11-U13 Champions will receive individual medals and scarves and a branded wooden plaque. Runners-up receive 2nd Place medals. Teams must play all scheduled games in order to play in the championship round. Awards Ceremonies for U11 through U21 will be held at the respective venue directly after their final match. Teams that cannot attend should send a representative to collect their awards.